BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule Full backup

2008-04-07 08:59:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule Full backup
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Hervé Richard <herve AT periactes DOT com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 07:59:16 -0500
Hervé Richard wrote:

>> this can be simply stated as
>>
>> 00 02 01 * *  backuppc  /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg
>> backup
>> host.domain.tld host.domain.tld backuppc 1
>>
>> If "tomorrow" is the second, then "today" must be the first, and we
>> can specify this directly in the crontab file, though running cron
>> jobs at 2am is probably not a very good idea in North America.
>>
> Hello all,
>
> (Sorry for my late answer and gratitude)
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> I was just wondering if it could be possible to start a full backup
> using a cron job for just a one shot and let backuppc do the following
> backups according to its config in config.pl?
> The aim is to begin backups with starting a full on Sunday and let
> backuppc by itself do the others.

You can, but normally one would start by itself before then if you have
a normal schedule set up.   If you want to defer runs, you can go to the
host's screen in the web interface and use the 'stop backup' link even
if one isn't currently running.  There is an option there to defer
backup runs for a specified time.  I usually try to start the first one
on Friday evening so there is less time for anything to go wrong before
getting a backup copy and more time for the fulls to complete, but
perhaps your schedule is different.

-
   Les Mikesell
    les AT futuresource DOT com