Amanda-Users

Re: Another oddity from Gene

2009-10-19 12:17:51
Subject: Re: Another oddity from Gene
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:20:40 -0400
wrote:
>> I'll try that, but IIRC if the dir is empty, ls still returns a linefeed.
>> brb.
>> Nope, tried with !='' and !='\n', with almost the same result, the diff
>> being that now the error message on the console is minus the ending ]
>> now.
>>
>> ./flush.sh: line 173: [20091019011512: command not found
>
>The whitespace is significant in the command I showed:
>
>if [ `/bin/ls /dumps` != "" ]

Except that this time you use dbl-quotes.  I used singles as you did in the
first reply, and it worked, with the added white space around the [ and ] as
Paul pointed out.

 It may be that due to a proportionally spaced font here, that I missed that
white space detail.

Which is the most correct? '' or ""

>btw, the shell strips leading and trailing whitespace, so don't worry
>about the newline.

ISTR reading as much, but CRS is becoming an issue. :)

>Dustin

Thanks again.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?