Amanda-Users

Re: Another oddity from Gene

2009-10-19 10:42:11
Subject: Re: Another oddity from Gene
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:34:13 -0400
wrote:
>>        if [`/bin/ls /dumps`]; then   <<<<<----line 173
>
>This can be a bit tricky in portable shell, but maybe this is closer
>to what you want:
>
>if [ `/bin/ls /dumps` != '' ]
>
>Dustin

I'll try that, but IIRC if the dir is empty, ls still returns a linefeed.
brb.
Nope, tried with !='' and !='\n', with almost the same result, the diff being
that now the error message on the console is minus the ending ] now.

./flush.sh: line 173: [20091019011512: command not found

I fail to see why bash is looking for that ls return as a command to be
executed, almost like bash is busted, and its been ages since bash was
updated.  This script has worked many times since the last time I saw a bash
update go by.

its enough to make a fellow wish it was beer-thirty and I haven't even
finished my first cup of tea!

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

DON'T go!!  I'm not HOWARD COSELL!!  I know POLISH JOKES ... WAIT!!
Don't go!!  I AM Howard Cosell! ... And I DON'T know Polish jokes!!