Amanda-Users

Re: I don't think amreporter is fixed yet

2009-10-06 00:35:35
Subject: Re: I don't think amreporter is fixed yet
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:08:16 -0400
wrote:
>> Now, I realize that when amdump calls it, it has knowledge of the
>> logfiles full name, but ISTR it used to be hand runnable with nothing
>> more than an
>>
>> su amanda -c "amreport Daily"
>>
>> and it would do the most recent backup.
>
>Nope -- the behavior you're observing has been the case as long as I
>can remember.

Gah, CRS?  Maybe it was amplot, which I haven't exercised in ages, too hard
to decode.

>> I believe this behavior can be restored if $logdir/'log' was made into a
>> softlink that was updated when the new long named logfile was started,
>> and would then be good till the next run, in a manner similar to the use
>> of the 'data' link now used in the vtape setup.  Can this be managed for
>> the next snapshot?
>
>This gets into some of the old, crufty, hairy parts of Amanda.  That
>"log" file actually doubles as the lock that prevents other Amanda
>operations from overlapping with a running dump, so converting it to a
>symlink is not an option.

I see.  Reading between the lines then, when amdump is running, it is
actually named 'log' and is renamed when amdump is finished?  If I'm awake
(doubtful) I'll look while its running.

>Amreport is not meant to be run by hand, just like amtrmidx and its
>ilk, so I don't see a strong need to "fix" this to search for the
>latest completed logfile.
>
>I'm glad to hear that it produced appropriate results when run with
>the correct logfile.

Well, I figured that amdump would know how to make it work, so I did what
amdump might have done. :)  I do manage to guess this stuff occasionally. :)

>Dustin

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

QOTD:
        "When she hauled ass, it took three trips."