Amanda-Users

Re: I don't think amreporter is fixed yet

2009-10-06 00:31:50
Subject: Re: I don't think amreporter is fixed yet
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 23:32:57 -0400
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> Now, I realize that when amdump calls it, it has knowledge of the logfiles
> full name, but ISTR it used to be hand runnable with nothing more than an
>
> su amanda -c "amreport Daily"
>
> and it would do the most recent backup.

Nope -- the behavior you're observing has been the case as long as I
can remember.

> I believe this behavior can be restored if $logdir/'log' was made into a
> softlink that was updated when the new long named logfile was started, and
> would then be good till the next run, in a manner similar to the use of the
> 'data' link now used in the vtape setup.  Can this be managed for the next
> snapshot?

This gets into some of the old, crufty, hairy parts of Amanda.  That
"log" file actually doubles as the lock that prevents other Amanda
operations from overlapping with a running dump, so converting it to a
symlink is not an option.

Amreport is not meant to be run by hand, just like amtrmidx and its
ilk, so I don't see a strong need to "fix" this to search for the
latest completed logfile.

I'm glad to hear that it produced appropriate results when run with
the correct logfile.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer