Amanda-Users

New machine fails, all e stimates missing.

2009-09-30 11:28:12
Subject: New machine fails, all e stimates missing.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:18:55 -0400
Greetings;

I am trying to add a kubuntu-6.06 machine, on which I have installed via apt-
get, the amanda-client and related debs.  One dependency that apt-get didn't
pull in was xinetd, but that's now installed and an amanda file added to
/etc/xinetd.d.

Amcheck, done from this machine is happy, but when the backup runs, the
runtar log file on that machine reports this:

-------------------
runtar: debug 1 pid 12192 ruid 1001 euid 0: start at Wed Sep 30 10:17:57 2009
/bin/tar: version 2.4.5p1
runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

runtar: pid 12192 finish time Wed Sep 30 10:17:57 2009
------------------

Now, probably an attack of dumbass on my part, I couldn't figure out how
amanda stuff was to be executed as having a backup:backup ownership, so I
made it all, except for runtar, owned by amanda:disk, runtar is root:disk,
has the suid things set, and the binary edited to replace the string 'backup'
in it with the string 'amanda', same number of chars so I did it with vim.

I _think_ it is being run by amanda, here is that amanda file from the
xinetd.d directory:
--------------
# default on
service amanda
{
        only_from       = coyote.coyote.den
        socket          = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
        server_args     =-auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
        disable         = no
}
The amanda user has been added, and /etc/group made to match what has worked
for many years on this machine, so it all should be running as amanda, who is
a member of group disk.  And xinetd has been restarted several times.

What might I have missed?  Or should I edit the above file to put the
user:group back to 'backup' and reinstall the amanda-client?

Or nuke the debs and build from a recent tarball?

FWIW, packaging system constraints are a PIMA. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four tellers?