Amanda-Users

I/O saturation

2009-09-15 10:25:47
Subject: I/O saturation
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:56:46 -0400
I am running amanda 1.6.1.p1 on Solaris 10/x86.
The only client is the server itself.

There are 17 DLEs in amanda's disklist, while only 15 mount points
are listed, I'd divided /stations (it needs to be divided differently
but that is a negligable issue).

I am running zfs-snapshots with server estimates excepting the
since UFS file system /.

>From the very bottom of the list you can see that I have allocated
another zfs array for use as amanda work, it holds 4 Terra which
should be enough to dump all of the other paritions concurrently,
we aren't doing so, but holding space is not our performance block.

Our performance block, per system monitoring is the throughput
to the amanda work area. We had it configured as raid, its now
a stripe, with no better performance per our test suite.

What if any switches can I tune (either within amanda or in ZFS)
to get better I/O across the work area drives ? The array consists
of 8 750Gig spindles a an ultra 320 bus.

We output to an SL24/LTO4.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

> df -hl
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c4t2d0s0       30G   7.5G    22G    26%    /
cascadep               4.9T    56K   2.0T     1%    /cascadep
cascadep/export        4.9T    58K   2.0T     1%    /cascadep/export
cascadep/export/apache
                       4.9T    36K   2.0T     1%    /cascadep/export/apache
cascadep/export/home   100M    81M    19M    81%    /cascadep/export/home
cascadep/export/source
                       4.9T   270M   2.0T     1%    /cascadep/export/source
cascadep/export/confocal
                       4.9T   965G   2.0T    32%    /cascadep/export/confocal
cascadep/export/stations
                       755G   479G   276G    64%    /stations
cascadep/export/ghost
                       755G   614G   141G    82%    /cascadep/export/ghost
cascadep/export/shain
                       755G   347G   408G    46%    /cascadep/export/shain
cascadep/export/rcole
                       755G   155G   600G    21%    /cascadep/export/rcole
cascadep/export/herron
                       755G   130G   625G    18%    /cascadep/export/herron
cascadep/export/chen   755G    80G   675G    11%    /cascadep/export/chen
cascadep/export/outside
                       4.9T    40G   2.0T     2%    /cascadep/export/outside
cascadep/export/bowser
                       755G    42G   713G     6%    /cascadep/export/bowser
cascadep/export/liuz   755G    21G   733G     3%    /cascadep/export/liuz
cascadep/export/archives
                       4.9T    79G   2.0T     4%    /cascadep/export/archives

raidinc                5.4T    19K   5.4T     1%    /raidinc
raidinc/amanda         5.4T    24K   5.4T     1%    /raidinc/amanda

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.