Amanda-Users

Multiple tape servers

2009-09-11 17:40:09
Subject: Multiple tape servers
From: Dominic Lepiane <Dominic.Lepiane AT ptgrey DOT com>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:54:56 -0700
Dear list

With our Amanda setup, we've got two tape autoloaders attached to two separate servers. I had initially tried to run both autoloaders on 1 server, but they were giving me a lot of trouble so we went with two separate servers. They're both Ultrium 2 tapes and the one autoloader has 8 tapes and the other has 16 tapes (and happens to have a barcode scanner). We've been running both basically independently, one backing up some hosts the other backing up the rest. But our backups have grown such that the 8 tape system is keeping data from a much shorter period of time. As it stands now, I'm just going to rebalance which hosts are backed up to which server and will probably have to do so again in 3-6 months...

So I was wondering if it's possible to have roughly 1 amanda server feeding backups to two tape hosts giving us logically a 24 tape pool to work with rather than managing the two pools separately.

The other question I had was whether it is possible to split up the L0 backups from the incremental backups. We are taking weekly L0 backups and we would like to keep the L0s around longer rather than having the tapes reused by incremental backups. Could we for example, do the L0 backups with our 16 tape server and the L1+ backups with the 8 tape server? Or, could we send the L0 backups to tape and L1+ to disk?

Thanks in advance,
 - Dominic L