Amanda-Users

Trouble in paradise! amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090904 is broken for the user amanda

2009-09-04 22:48:46
Subject: Trouble in paradise! amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090904 is broken for the user amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:34:55 -0400
Greetings;

As you know, I script most of the things I do that are repetitive, and a
fresh amanda install is no exception.

You have all seen my "gh.cf" script, but here it is again:
----------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --with-config=Daily \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
echo "sleeping 5 seconds for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after..."
sleep 5
make
---------------------------

As that is limited due to the requirement that it be run as the user, in this
case amanda, I wrote another script to wrap that one in about a year ago.
Here it is:  The cli is ./newmanda amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090904 (or whatever
version is being built)
----------------------------
#!/bin/bash
VER=${1}
echo $VER
VER2=${1}.tar.gz
echo $VER2
su amanda -c "tar xzf $VER2" && \
su amanda -c "cp gh.cf $VER/" && \
cd $VER && \
su amanda -c "./gh.cf" && \
make install && \
su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"
----------------------------
Pretty simple.  However at the end of it, where it does the last line, it
complained:
-------------------------
amcheck: running as user "root" instead of "amanda".
Change user to "amanda" or change dump user to "root" in amanda.conf
-------------------------
Humm, problem, so I ran that last line by hand:
-------------------------
[root@coyote amanda]# su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"

[amanda@coyote ~]$ amcheck Daily
amcheck: running as user "root" instead of "amanda".
Change user to "amanda" or change dump user to "root" in amanda.conf

/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf wasn't touched by the install.  So I
will re-install the 0831 version, this one seems to have a buglet.

And of course it is the labor day weekend here in the states.  Murphy is
alive and well. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

There are times when truth is stranger than fiction and lunch time is one
of them.