Amanda-Users

Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines

2009-09-02 13:20:35
Subject: Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines
From: Michael Burk <burkml AT gmail DOT com>
To: Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst AT ontko DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:11:39 -0600
This was a good idea; I tried it with one modification:  I determined earlier that the failure happens without indexing also, so I added just the line:
    fcntl(datafd, F_GETFL, 0);
and that fixed the problem as well. So I guess this is truly the minimal patch!

-- Michael

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst AT ontko DOT com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 11:31:26 -0600, Michael Burk wrote:
> I applied the 3-line patch to the 0831 snapshot and ran a full backup on
> both machines, with 4 file systems each. All 8 completed successfully with
> no "strange" messages.
>
> Next, I commented out the 3 new lines and tried the backup again on one of
> the machines. This time all 4 file systems failed; e.g.:
[...]
> So it seems reliable that those 3 lines fix the problem somehow.
> Anything else you want to try before I ask for help on the OpenBSD list?

I'm no expert on this topic, but if I were investigating something like
this, I'd be curious to know if all three of the lines in the patch were
necessary for the fix.

Since, as you pointed out, the error seems to be tied to the indexing
subprocess, I wonder what would happen if you included only the one

  fcntl(indexfd, F_GETFL, 0);

line of the patch, but not the other two....

                                                       Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  nathanst AT ontko DOT com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239