Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with 4.5 and Amanda 2.6.1

2009-08-20 14:12:57
Subject: Re: Problems with 4.5 and Amanda 2.6.1
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:54:06 -0400

stan wrote:
I recently tried to upgrade several of my OpenBSD machines to 4.5 (X86). I
also upgraded the Amanda clients on them to 2.6.1, which I have working on
FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris 5, Solaris 8, and HP-UX.
Despite my best efforts, I have yet to get the OpenBSD 4.5 clients to back
up correctly. All the configurations are set up to match what has been done
on FreeBSD. Amcheck works fine, and when I start a backup, the size
estimates step works. But 80% of the time the actual dumps fail. They
start, but fail in mid dump. They are returning a EAGAIN error on the
network pipes back to the Amanda master machine. I have connected one of the
OpenBSD machines directly to the Amanda master with a crossover cable to
eliminate any possible firewall/router et all issues.

I notice that the port of Amanda is quite an old version, and the
developers of this project are (unfortunately) breaking compatibility with
older clients. I don't like this, but, at this point in time, it is beyond
my resources to address this breakage.

Has anyone gotten an newer version of Amanda to work on OpenBSD 4.5? Can
anyone suggest what I should do to try to diagnose this problem further?

Sounds like you've had a fair bit of experience on various platforms implementing Amanda.

Since you upgraded the OpenBSD, perhaps for sanity and just checking and troubleshooting, you should grab an older Amanda that you already have implemented, and get that working on the upgraded OpenBSD. That might just work, or it might clue you in to what's going on.

I've implemented a couple of new Amanda backup systems this summer in different departments and buildings. I'm annoyed that I haven't yet mastered the skill of doing a perfect install and configuration that simply works the first time I run it. The problems I run into seem to be different every time, even if the error I get is the same. I'm using a wrapper script on ufsdump to get snapshots in Solaris, so I have a bunch of extra logging of my own from there. The last hangup I had was from a typo in the sudoers file that prevented an svcadm command (Solaris 10) from working. The error in my log files was "sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified", but the error from Amanda was simply that the dump had failed and ufsdump returned a -3. That one was easy to spot and fix based on my own debug log. In another install, I was just going through the Zmanda wiki troubleshooting page and checking my notes of different installs, checking one thing after another to see that I had it right. There was no /etc/amandates. I touched that, set the ownership and access, and everything started working. Funny thing is that my actual runs never make any use of /etc/amandates. On one of my servers, it is 0 length and has a date stamp of 2007, although the system has been backed up every night for the last couple of years. Oddball things like that can be hard to find. And that doesn't take into account OpenBSD's security paranoia. I haven't done an install on OpenBSD, and we are now moving away from it, since Linux has become much more secure in recent years.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator