Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape

2009-08-17 09:14:46
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:03:36 -0400

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
On 14/08/09, Frank Smith (fsmith AT hoovers DOT com) wrote:
Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
Amanda will do the compression for you. You define it in the dumptype in amanda.conf. If you have a holding disk, then it will compress the data as it goes onto the holding disk. If you don't have a holding disk, then you might have issues with being able to stream a backup to tape, compressing it on the fly. Even with a really fast cpu, I don't know if you can maintain the throughput to drive LTO4 at a good speed.
You might want to consider configuring for client compression.  Not
only will that give you more CPU for feeding your tape, it also
minimizes network bandwidth. As usual, YMMV, it all depends on where
the bottlenecks are in your environment.

In our case the server _is_ the only client, with up to 30TB of direct
attached storage, with the storage running at between 80MB/s and 120MB/s
access speeds (Bytes rather than bytes).

I don't know if this is fast enough to deal with a SAS connected LTO4
drive, particularly if it is doing software compression along the way.

With reference to Chris Hoogendyk's email "clarification on
parallelism", I am very curious to learn if Amanda "...still require[s]
a DLE to be completed to holding disk before it will send any of it to
tape..." In our case this is a particularly important question as,
although we can add in more AoE storage for a DLE, this will only run at
the speeds above. Do we need a 1TB SAS disk array too?

You will get the best performance if you can do that. If the disk that is being copied to tape can give the speed the tape needs, that's going to do a better job of keeping things moving.

You have a couple of options.

You can go without a holding disk, and then each DLE will be streamed sequentially to tape. This will stretch out your backups. It will also mean that any compression you do in software will be done in line with that sequential stream. Your system may not be able to keep that all flying fast enough for the tape, and you may end up with shoe shining and very low speeds. You can certainly try it and see what happens. If (when?) that fails, you could try using hardware compression on the tape drive. The backups will still be sequential, one DLE streaming to tape at a time, and if your drives can't keep up, it will be slower than you might like. But, at least you are not dealing with network backups.

The option I would try, budget allowing, would be to add a couple of SAS drives to be used as holding disks. Then break up your DLEs so that each DLE is substantially smaller than the holding disks. Then Amanda can run them in parallel, compress them on the holding disk, and then stream completed, compressed DLEs from the holding disk to the tape.

I wouldn't put the holding disks in raid.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator