Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.5.2p1-1 - Broken Pipe .....again

2009-08-11 04:25:33
Subject: Amanda 2.5.2p1-1 - Broken Pipe .....again
From: Yogesh Hasabnis <yhmail29 AT yahoo.co DOT in>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:39:07 +0530 (IST)
Hi All,

We use Amanda-2.5.2p1 for our daily incremental backup requirements. A single filesystem on a single host is backed up in this setup. The backup server and the client is the same host. The OS on the host is RHEL 3. The setup has been working reasonably fine for last two and half years, except for a few problems once in a while. Currently I am facing a problem in which the backup has failed for last one week and the error message that I receive in the email message is as follows:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
<backup_client_host> /vol/vol1/home lev 0 FAILED [data write: Broken pipe]
<backup_client_host> /vol/vol1/home lev 0 FAILED [input: Can't read data: : Connection reset by peer]
<backup_client_host> /vol/vol1/home lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

The same error was observed about a month ago. I had browsed through the wiki, in which I couldn't find a solution. So I just restarted my backup client/server which had solved the problem. I am trying to figure out whether the issue can be resolved without restarting the host. I have attached the amdump.1 file with this email. Would appreciate if I could get some guidance to resolve this issue and make sure that it doesn't occur again.

Thanks,
Yogesh