Amanda-Users

Re: broadcast traffic

2009-06-16 09:22:46
Subject: Re: broadcast traffic
From: Charlie Reitsma <reitsma AT denison DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:11:19 -0400
So, perhaps, the ISP is mistaking the backup traffic as a broadcast storm. It would appear as a sudden spike of traffic leaving the server. If so, a conversation with the ISP should clear up the issue.

Charlie Reitsma

Quoting Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>:

Steve,

Amanda doesn't use broadcast.

Jean-Louis

Steve Wray wrote:
Hi there,

We have a server hosted with our ISP and we have recently started to run amanda backups from this server to our main backup server.

The ISP has contacted us about broadcast storms emanating from this server.

These storms coincide with backup runs.

I wasn't aware that amanda used broadcast traffic but there is nothing else on this server which could be causing this.

If amanda does use broadcast, is there a way to turn it off or otherwise contain it?

Thanks