Amanda-Users

broadcast traffic

2009-06-15 23:23:50
Subject: broadcast traffic
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray AT cwa.co DOT nz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:25:26 +1200
Hi there,

We have a server hosted with our ISP and we have recently started to run amanda backups from this server to our main backup server.

The ISP has contacted us about broadcast storms emanating from this server.

These storms coincide with backup runs.

I wasn't aware that amanda used broadcast traffic but there is nothing else on this server which could be causing this.

If amanda does use broadcast, is there a way to turn it off or otherwise contain it?

Thanks

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.