Amanda-Users

Re: understanding a restore

2009-06-16 08:38:47
Subject: Re: understanding a restore
From: Brandon Metcalf <brandon AT geronimoalloys DOT com>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 07:31:58 -0500 (CDT)
h == hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu writes:

 h> Brandon Metcalf wrote:
 h> > After selecting the directory I need to restore in amrecover, "list"
 h> > shows me the following:
 h> >
 h> >   TAPE DailySet1-09:9 LEVEL 0 DATE 2009-06-05
 h> >           /path/to/data
 h> >   TAPE DailySet1-17:9 LEVEL 1 DATE 2009-06-14
 h> >           /path/to/data
 h> >
 h> > This seems to imply that since the full backup was done on 2009-06-05
 h> > nothing was changed to cause an incremental until 2009-06-14, but I
 h> > know this isn't the case.  Or at least there is nothing that changed
 h> > that wasn't part of the level 1 backup shown above, but this doesn't
 h> > seem reasonable given that data changes daily at this location.
 h> >
 h> > I'm sure this is a case of me misintepreting what I'm seeing.  What's
 h> > the real story?

 h> Every level 1 backup backs up all changes since the last level 0. That
 h> means that the level 1 from 6/14 contains all the changes since 6/5.

 h> So, if file x changed on 6/6, it will be backed up on every level 1
 h> after that until there is another level 0. If enough changes happen,
 h> Amanda may go to level 2. If things weren't done this way, you would
 h> have way too many tapes to refer to in order to accomplish a full restore.

Makes sense.  Thanks for the reply.

--
Brandon