Amanda-Users

Re: understanding a restore

2009-06-15 19:24:49
Subject: Re: understanding a restore
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Brandon Metcalf <brandon AT geronimoalloys DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:08:24 -0400

Brandon Metcalf wrote:
After selecting the directory I need to restore in amrecover, "list"
shows me the following:

  TAPE DailySet1-09:9 LEVEL 0 DATE 2009-06-05
          /path/to/data
  TAPE DailySet1-17:9 LEVEL 1 DATE 2009-06-14
          /path/to/data

This seems to imply that since the full backup was done on 2009-06-05
nothing was changed to cause an incremental until 2009-06-14, but I
know this isn't the case.  Or at least there is nothing that changed
that wasn't part of the level 1 backup shown above, but this doesn't
seem reasonable given that data changes daily at this location.

I'm sure this is a case of me misintepreting what I'm seeing.  What's
the real story?

Every level 1 backup backs up all changes since the last level 0. That means that the level 1 from 6/14 contains all the changes since 6/5.

So, if file x changed on 6/6, it will be backed up on every level 1 after that until there is another level 0. If enough changes happen, Amanda may go to level 2. If things weren't done this way, you would have way too many tapes to refer to in order to accomplish a full restore.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator