Amanda-Users

Re: ghost disklist entries

2009-05-11 12:34:09
Subject: Re: ghost disklist entries
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:24:10 -0400
On Monday 11 May 2009, Johan Booysen wrote:
>(Amanda-2.6.0p1)
>

>I've just noticed something peculiar while doing a test restore.  While
>using amrecover to set a host and a disk, then for two hosts I've got
>disklist entries being displayed which don't exist anymore (in fact,
>they haven't existed since January 09).  When doing a setdisk for either
>of those two disklist entries, and then doing an 'ls', the results are
>displayed with the date of '2009-01-16'...
>

>Amadmin tells me:
>

>$ amadmin daily disklist server /disk/list/entry
>
>Argument '/disk/list/entry' matches neither a host nor a disk.
>
>amadmin: no disk matched
>

>This isn't a massive problem for me at the moment (that I'm aware of, at
>least) because everything else seems to be the way I'd expect, but it
>does raise some concerns in terms of whether I'm getting accurate info
>back from Amanda and why or how this kind of thing would've happened.
>

>I'd appreciate any advice on this.
>

>Thanks.

I haven't noticed that here, probably because I don't do the recovery ops as
often as I should.  What I have noticed is when I go and tour the location
where these files are stored, which is in /usr/local/var/amanda for me, is
that apparently there has been a miss-fire at sometime in the past in the
algorythm that the old log and index cleanup function uses to delete those
files that represent a tape that has been re-written and are no longer valid.
If amrecover finds them, I assume it would show them to you.

Bear in mind also that I play the canary, running the most recent alpha code,
and that the less than continuous use of any one code snapshot here may also
have a bearing.  I have seen it happen, but my freshly made data trees are
intact ATM as I am still on the first cycle of my 'tapecycle' of 30 vtapes, so
this function has not yet had any 'hits'.  Looking at the zmanda site very
early this morning, I see I am two releases behind.  Shame on me :)

I just had to restart my amanda system from scratch back on 2009-04-23 due to
a failed Maxtor 1 terrabyte hard drive I was using for vtapes, and other than
having an empty /usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/gnutar-lists directory cuz its
actually in /usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists, (possible a config error but
that was properly set in my amanda.conf the last time I got curious)

The failed drive was a first actual drive failure for me since I switched to
vtapes several years ago, and was warrantied since that drive was less than a
year old, but the warranty place in TX sent me a Seagate marked as repaired to
replace it.  I'm considering a bigger psu, and making a raid mirror out of it.

The above two paragraphs aren't germane to your question of course, just
comments for the record.

Those entries you find that do not correspond to an actual (v)tape can be
safely deleted, they are of no further use to amanda and are just a
housekeeping hiccup.  I hope this helps to clarify that.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Barker's Proof:
        Proofreading is more effective after publication.