Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover stuck on "set owner/mode for '.' "

2009-05-02 14:28:59
Subject: Re: amrecover stuck on "set owner/mode for '.' "
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 13:08:53 -0400
On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:17:47AM -0400, Joe Konecny wrote:
> Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> >On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Joe Konecny <jkonecny AT rmtohio DOT com>
> >wrote:
> >>I just ran amrecover and successfully put a file into /tmp.
> >>amrecover prompted me "set owner/mode for '.'? [yn]" to
> >>which I answered "n" and hit enter.  Now it just sits there
> >>for over 30 minutes doing nothing.  What could be going on?
> >
> >Hmm, I can only find that in the manpage, not the source.  Presumably
> >it's some old message which has since been removed.
> >
> >Anyway, probably what it's doing is recovering your file.  Amanda
> >reads the whole dumpfile, even to recover a single file.
> >
> >Dustin
> >

> Ok...  It finally finished.  It took over an hour.  The file was
> restored early on but since you say it reads the whole dump file
> I suppose it still had a way to go to finish the read.  Thanks.

I think that a reason the entire file is read is a property of
the underlying archive programs, dump/tar, rather than amanda.
They may have a "replace" capability that would allow newer
versions of a file to update the same file already in an archive.
Amanda never makes use of this feature, but the underlying
programs don't know this and are probably looking for "later
replacements".

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)