Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover stuck on "set owner/mode for '.' "

2009-05-01 14:32:32
Subject: Re: amrecover stuck on "set owner/mode for '.' "
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 14:12:32 -0400

John Hein wrote:
Dustin J. Mitchell wrote at 11:11 -0400 on May  1, 2009:
 > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Joe Konecny <jkonecny AT rmtohio DOT com>
wrote:
 > > I just ran amrecover and successfully put a file into /tmp.
 > > amrecover prompted me "set owner/mode for '.'? [yn]" to
 > > which I answered "n" and hit enter.  Now it just sits there
 > > for over 30 minutes doing nothing.  What could be going on?
> > Hmm, I can only find that in the manpage, not the source. Presumably
 > it's some old message which has since been removed.

This is tangential to the OP's problem, but it depends on what source
you're looking at.  That message is probably coming from the 'restore'
OS utility, not amanda.

It looks exactly like the message I get from ufsrestore alone (and when running amrecover) on Solaris.

Also, the behavior of asking that question and then spending an additional long time "working on things." My server and tape drive are fast enough that my wait isn't as long as Joe's, but still... (and I recall waiting hours on a DDS/3 tape a few years back).

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator