Amanda-Users

tuning questions

2009-04-14 10:43:03
Subject: tuning questions
From: Brandon Metcalf <brandon AT geronimoalloys DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:58:01 -0500 (CDT)
I just got Amanda 2.5.2p1 up and running and really like it.  I have a couple
of questions regarding my configuration--just want to be sure I'm running
things optimally.

I defined a tapetype of HARDDISK with

  define tapetype HARDDISK {
   length 100000 mbytes
  }

Last night my backups used 74% of the tape space.  What happens when the data I
want to backup exceeds the size I've defined?  Should I increase the size in
the definition.

Also, I'm using the the default cycle parameters as follows

  dumpcycle 4 weeks
  runspercycle 20
  tapecycle 25 tapes

with a crontab of

  45 0 * * 2-6 /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1

What if I want backups to occur Monday thru Saturday (actually, early Tuesday
thru early Sunday mornings)?  Should I increase runspercycle and tapecycle to
24 and, say, 35?  And change my crontab to

  45 0 * * 2-7 /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1

?  Basically, I have new data being stored on Saturdays that I would like to
get backed up early Sunday morning.

Thanks,
Brandon