Amanda-Users

Re: "Holdingdisk no" - why does amanda wait to tape those DLEs?

2009-04-04 09:27:55
Subject: Re: "Holdingdisk no" - why does amanda wait to tape those DLEs?
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 09:19:42 -0400
It's important to do the dump direct to tape at the end if you have a small holding disk, Amanda was designed for this case.

But hard disk are now cheap, what you propose is a good idea.

Patch is welcome.

Jean-Louis

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Dustin J. Mitchell schrieb:

However, the driver always schedules its PORT_WRITE (direct to tape)
dumps *after* its holding-based runs.  The idea is that dumping
directly to tape basically monopolizes the entire server
infrastructure, so it's better to get the cooperating dumps out of the
way first.

So the behavior you're seeing with this particular config is intended,
although it's not what you expected.

I understand the intentions but on the other hand it should be possible
to get the behavior I expected as well:

Write "holdingdisk no"-DLEs to tape while other stuff gets in via dumpers.

In my specific case this would help to speed up things a lot.

Stefan