Amanda-Users

Re: amdump & log files from 2.6.1 run yesterda

2009-02-20 15:51:43
Subject: Re: amdump & log files from 2.6.1 run yesterda
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Telsin <telsin AT onholyground DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:44:29 -0500
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Telsin <telsin AT onholyground DOT com> wrote:
> FYI, I've also been seeing this error/issue with 2.6.1. My setup is simpler
> (single manual tape drive), and it seems to be occurring when the dumps fill
> a tape. Looks like the wrong error is making it's way out of the taper for
> some reason. It also looks like dumps (or possible dumps which the taper was
> trying to tape as partials) are not being removed from the holding disk, so
> it keeps trying and building them up on the holding disk. My taper debugs
> look similar to Stan's, but I can post them if you're interested. I cleared
> out an overlarge dump that had been tried as a partial tape run twice, and
> used amflush to clear out a bunch more (which threw the same error when it
> filled the tape, btw), and last night it ran clean again (and only filled
> about 60% of a tape!). I'll be keeping an eye on it, and will let you know
> if it happens again.

The errors you're seeing are expected in the circumstance you describe
-- Amanda has run out of tape space.  Your observation that Amanda
does not remove a file from holding if it is only partially written to
tape is also correct.  Amanda will only consider a dumpfile to be
written to tape if it can write the whole thing in one run (possibly
over multiple tapes in that one run).

The problem with stan's situation is that the taper is labeling the
tape and then almost immediately (about 8 seconds) failing, before it
even starts to write the first dumpfile.  Unless this is a 32k tape,
it's definitely not full :)

I'm still trying to figure out what could be wrong, and supply some
additional debug logging to see if I can spot it.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com