Amanda-Users

Re: Interpreting Amanda errors

2009-02-16 10:51:38
Subject: Re: Interpreting Amanda errors
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:37:09 -0500
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:58:53AM -0000, Johan Booysen wrote:
> I wonder if someone can help me understand what Amanda's trying to tell
> me about last Friday's backup.  I've been using Amanda for a few years
> and it runs like a charm, but I got this in the status email this
> morning:
>
> For two out of about 30 DLEs I got:
>
> Server1                /dir/dir                 lev 1  FAILED [cannot
> read header: got 0 bytes instead of 32768]
>
> Server1                /dir/dir                 lev 1  was successfully
> retried
>
> Server2                /dir/dir                 lev 1  FAILED [cannot
> read header: got 0 bytes instead of 32768]
>
> Server2                /dir/dir                 lev 1  was successfully
> retried
>

> Then in the Notes section I got:
>
> taper: Will request retry of failed split part
>
> driver: Out of tapes; going into degraded mode
>

> And also:
>
> There are xxxxxxxxxxM of dumps left in the holding disk.
>

> I do full backups every night.  The amount of data I back up equals only
> about 40% of a single tape's capacity, so the "out of tapes" message
> can't be true.  Not sure at all what "cannot read header..." means.

If size of backup is definitely not the issue, what about
the age of the tapes.  You have been using amanda for
several years.  Might the tapes be getting old and failing?
Alternatively, might a tape head cleaning be due?  I.e.
something that mechanically or electrically might be
causing intermittant failures?

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)