Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.2alpha question.

2009-01-28 16:13:05
Subject: Re: 2.6.2alpha question.
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:07:25 -0500
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> What else can I fiddle with?  Something in smb.conf maybe?  It seems to me
> that there should be something there to restrict the search to local, but I
> don't seem to find that.  And I'd consider having samba go out on the net
> looking for name resolution to be a security hole, a big one at that.

Well, this is only during configure, and it's only a 40-second
timeout, so I'm not *too* concerned about it (modulo changing the
hostname to somethign less likely to actually resolve).

This code to detect version "1" versus version "2" (these are internal
Amanda notions of "older" and "newer" sambas .. I don't know if they
correspond to any particular Samba version numbers) of samba has been
around for a long time, and my impression is that folks who use Samba
have to keep it up to date because MS hostfixes knock old versions out
of commission all the time.  Would it be OK to drop support for
version "1"?  If we can do that, we can drop this test as well, and
just assume that if a binary named 'smbclient' is present, that it's a
functional version of Samba's smbclient.

I need to hear from some Samba users here before I can do anything.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com