Amanda-Users

SCSI DDS tape compression

2009-01-21 12:25:13
Subject: SCSI DDS tape compression
From: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
To: amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:19:01 +0100
Hi,

I am using amanda with DDS tapes without h/w compression and during
boot the compression is disabled using mt.  I noticed however a
different behaviour between the mt in the cpio 2.6 package (in opensuse
10.2) and the version 2.9 which is in opensuse 11.1.

The command is "mt -f [dev] datcompression [count]"

The mt man page says:
- if count is 0 -> compression off
- if count == 1 -> status is printed
- if anything else, or blank -> compression on

However in 2.6:
- if count == 0 -> off
- if count == 1 or blank -> status is printed
- anyhing else -> on

And in 2.9:
- if count == 0 -> off
- if anything else (including 1 or blank) -> on
and there is no count value which gives the "status printed"

This is of course not an amanda issue, but I thought it worthwhile to
let you know, in case you were also using "1" as the inquiry count,
but it actually enabled the compression again.

Regards,

Charles