Amanda-Users

Re: Advice on flushing a large dump

2008-12-17 03:49:43
Subject: Re: Advice on flushing a large dump
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:40:55 +0100
Zembower, Kevin schrieb:
  taper: tape DBackup11 kb 16766592 fm 1 writing file: No space left on device
  driver: Taper  error: "[writing file: No space left on device]"

I used my calculator to add the filesizes of your holding disk: 18.363.547 Kb

My questions are
1) Don't understand why I can't flush less than 20GB of data to my tapes which
are supposed to hold 20GB raw and more compressed. I have compression turned
off on the drive. I thought I was compressing the dumps, but I just checked the
disklist and amanda.conf and found I wasn't.

How much is the "length" parameter of the tapetype you use? Have you created your own tapetype definition, by using amtapetype? This fills a tape up to the end with data to find out the parameter for your tape.

2) Is there any way to compress the files now on the holdingdisk before they're
taped?

If you configured compression in your dumptype section it allready is compressed. If not, I think amanda can't handle the restore, if you compress the holdingdisk data and flush it to tape.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung IT)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost