Amanda-Users

Tape changer question

2008-12-13 17:51:19
Subject: Tape changer question
From: Tim Bunnell <bunnell AT asel.udel DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:03:21 -0500
Folks,

We're running Amanda (version 2.5.1p1) on a Debian Linux system with an 8-tape AIT-2 library. We have around 314GB spread over two file systems that we are attempting to backup in one run across as many tapes as necessary. We're using gzip compression and expect it will take 5-6 tapes to complete (there's a fair amount of audio and image data that doesn't compress too well).

I think we have the config files set up correctly, but it seems like no matter what we do, the run stops (after about 16 hours) and reports that it's out of tape. I don't think it has ever succeeded in spanning more than 4 tapes before giving us the error. I see nothing in the .debug output for the changer that looks different for any tapes it changes.

I'm sort of at a loss for where to start looking for the problem, and what to look for. Any suggestions from the list?

Thanks,

Director, Center for Pediatric Auditory and Speech Sciences (CPASS)
Head, Speech Research Lab    | Adjunct Associate Professor
duPont Hospital for Children | Comp. and Info. Sciences / Linguistics
Voice: 1+302+651-6835        | University of Delaware
Fax:   1+302+651-6895        | URL: www.asel.udel.edu/speech/