Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate size question

2008-12-03 14:58:50
Subject: Re: Estimate size question
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Robert P McGraw Jr" <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:54:47 -0500
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Robert P McGraw Jr <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
wrote:
>     2. I was thinking about using the "server" estimate for the users in the
> include list to try and increase the speed of the backup. Our user
> directories do no change that much so I think I am ok in this area.

I think this sounds like a good idea for your case.  It will cause
your estimates to be off a bit if, for example, a user decides to
download a few DVD ISO's, but I expect that such occasional
inconvenience will be dwarfed by the time savings from 'estimate
server'.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer