Amanda-Users

Re: amanda-2.6.0p2: a few remarks and questions

2008-11-11 14:18:48
Subject: Re: amanda-2.6.0p2: a few remarks and questions
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:12:14 -0800
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 17:53 -0500, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> * Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
> [20081110 12:27]:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've finally got to install amanda-2.6.0p2 on a system going soon into
> > production and while getting used to the new features and I noticed a
> > few things that have changed since 2.5.x :
>
> Since no-one is answering, I'll continue my lonely tirade :)
>
> What happened to the `CONFIGURE_COMMAND' line in the amandad debug files?
>
> This is very useful when testing different config setups. For
> instance, it took me a while to discover that I had made a typo while
> running configure with `--with-maxtapeblocksize'. I would had spotted
> this right away with that line in the amandad debug file. After a lot
> of greping through the log files I discovered, buried in the taper
> debug files, the only place afaik where one can find the tapetype
> blocksize numerical value in lines like:
>
> <timestamp>: taper: Building type 3 (FILE) header of size 2097152 using:
>
> cheers,
> jf
>

> > - I use amtoc after a dump ends to get stats on what was written on
> > tape and noticed that it doesn't parse correctly the log files and the
> > toc files end up not showing what was written on tape. Looking at the
> > source I believe that this is due to the fact that amtoc doesn't parse
> > lines that start with 'PART' as the new log format seems to use
> > compared to 'CHUNK' in pre-2.6.x.
> >
> > - amstatus doesn't show which tape(s) is being used and how much data
> > been written to it so far, a useful feature when I want to check that
> > a flush is being done correctly when using a changer with 'runtapes>1'

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll confess that I have also
missed amstatus showing which tape is being used.  I appreciated the
confirmation that the active dump *was* using a tape *and* the tape I
expected to be used.  I've saved time by killing early on and restarting
many an amdump run because, after due time, the tape I expected didn't
show up with an amstatus.

I shifted to running

    grep <configname>- /etc/amanda/<configname>/amdump'

instead to verify use of a tape.

Paul

--
Design Engineer