Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied for one DLE

2008-09-08 15:59:34
Subject: Re: Permission denied for one DLE
From: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:52:36 +0200 (CEST)
Jon LaBadie schrieb:
> As I recall, general policy of if it doesn't need root to do the
> job, it doesn't get root.

Yes, I agree. This is allways a good idea. But I think in some situations
it can confuse users, it the tool that is used for ensuring that
everything will work in a real run, is not checking with a real
environment.

But maybe it would be a suggestion to the developers, to add a note to the
error like "Permission denied. This doesn't have to be an error you will
receive when you run amdump, because amcheck is executed with limited
permissions out of security reasons on the clients."

I think this makes it easier for users to appreciate correctly the
message. I guess we allready had this requests earlier on the list, too.

> I think what you experienced is the only case where a problem arises and
> again, IIRC, the only problem might be locating include/exclude files.

I don't know if there could appear other situations where the non-root
execution of amcheck can bring other messages to light. This is easier for
the developers to estimate.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung IT)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost