Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied for one DLE

2008-09-08 14:16:11
Subject: Re: Permission denied for one DLE
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:08:25 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:38:10PM +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Jon LaBadie schrieb:
> > Backups run with root id.  Amcheck runs with amanda user id.
> > The lack of rx access to world on the directories is the cause
> > of the amcheck error.  If it doesn't bother you, leave it as is.
> > Or as you suggest put amanda user in group www.
>
> Is there a special reason, why amcheck is running with lower privileges
> than the later backup? It distort the real final result, in some cases. If
> amcheck uses the same security features like the later running backup
> part, it won't open a security issue, or will it?

As I recall, general policy of if it doesn't need root to do the
job, it doesn't get root.  I think what you experienced is the only
case where a problem arises and again, IIRC, the only problem might
be locating include/exclude files.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)