Amanda-Users

Changer policy

2008-08-21 09:05:54
Subject: Changer policy
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, jeh AT FreeBSD DOT org
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:55:26 +0700 (ICT)
Hi,

I have a brand new Amanda server, that uses virtual tapes.

My virtual tapes are set on external hard disks, but I can only
physically connect one disk at a time.

I uses runtapes 5.

So I can end up in a situation where I have 2 vtapes left one a disk,
and where I must change disk in the middle of a dump.

I beleive this is close to the situation of a tape caroussel, where
one wants to reload the caroussel in the middle of a dump.

I'd like to know if the model bellow makes sense with Amanda, does it
break the general idea or not?

Will it work if I write a changer that would wait for manual change of
the disk? The dumps would finish to the holding disks and the taper
would wait for manual change of the disk before finishing to write on
the tape (wait would be several hours).

I see that amcheck physically tries to access the tapes, so in a
situation with 2 tapes left on a disk and 3 tapes from the new disk,
amcheck would request the user tou change disk, that is not really
necessary, is there any other command that is likely to access the
changer (beside the amdump/amflush and restore).

Is there a command to get the label of the tape loaded in the tape
device?

Does it exist a changer that allow the manual change of a caroussel,
so I don't have to redesign everything from scratch? (I mean the
Amanda phylosophy, not the exact way to load/eject a caroussel or
mout/unmout a disk).

Best regards,

Olivier