Amanda-Users

Re: Busted Tape Drive

2008-08-04 07:51:53
Subject: Re: Busted Tape Drive
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 07:45:52 -0400

Steven Backus wrote:
  Ever since my latest update from Red Hat, my VXA-2 tape library
has stopped working.  It appears /dev/tape is now a directory
instead of a link to /dev/nst0 and every command I give to the
drive returns /dev/nst0: Input/output error.  I've tried removing
/dev/tape and linking it to /dev/nst0 with no joy.  I've also tried
using dd, which returns the same error.  I've tried re-compiling
Amanda too.  I'm running Red Hat AS 4.x and amanda 2.5.2p1, anyone
got any ideas?

I'm not a linux expert, so I can't tell you how to solve the problem. But, perhaps I can at least point you in the right direction for starters. Focus on the driver for your tape library. Did you install this yourself originally? Or did someone else? It would seem that if the driver came with Red Hat Linux, an update of Red Hat wouldn't have broken it. In any case, dropping back to a basic tool like dd (or tar) for testing is a good idea until that works. It eliminates extraneous variables. Once your are back to the point where mt and mtx work, then amanda should work.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center