Amanda-Users

Re: why permission denied on /dev/nst0 ?

2008-07-28 15:46:35
Subject: Re: why permission denied on /dev/nst0 ?
From: Kenji Lefevre <support AT ihp.jussieu DOT fr>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:52:13 +0200
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:48:07PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Kenji Lefevre wrote:
> >     Hello,
> >
> >i'm trying to use amrecover but it doesn't work.
> >I got this line in amidxtaped.20080728141244.debug
> >
> >Could not rewind device '/dev/nst0': tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/nst0:
> >Permission denied
> >could not open tape device /dev/nst0: Permission denied
> >
> >though i'm running amrecover as root with id
> >uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
> >groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
> >context=root:system_r:unconfined_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh
> >
> >and /dev/nst0 has permission
> >crw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 128 Jun 25 11:39 /dev/nst0
> >
> >So root belongs to group disk.
>
> But amrecover contacts a program on the server, and that programs
> runs a the amandabackup user (or whatever you specified in xinetd
> config.  So make sure that that user is added to the group "disk"
> and that that xinetd option "groups = yes" is set as well.
>

> >Moreover amverify works (launched by root).
>
> Because amverify does not contact another process, but does the
> verification itself.

Thanks. This is consistent. But i still got error...
Though you showed me the right way to fix it.
The problem was coming from selinux.

My amanda server is running with CentOS 5 with
selinux installed by default.
making selinux permissive fix my problem :

setenforce 0

This default installation incompatibily (i installed amanda with an rpm
for rhel5) worth to be more know for redhat, fedora users.

Bye, Kenji