Amanda-Users

Re: usage of holding disk

2008-07-23 11:53:50
Subject: Re: usage of holding disk
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Andre Brandt <brandt AT decoit DOT de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:41:32 -0400
Andre,

Yes, that is typical behavior for amanda. If you have sufficient
holding disk to store dumps they will be written to the work area
and wait their until either you run an # amflush or you run a
successfull # amdump AND have the autoflush parameter set to yes.

There is a reserve parameter that may come into play though

from one of my amanda.conf files... This value comes into play here
and will effect the size of the dumps that amanda things you can
store.

# reserve 30 # percent
# This means save at least 30% of the holding disk space for degraded
# mode backups.

                                                Brian

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:16:02PM +0200, Andre Brandt wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've just a little question - perhaps you can help me:
>
> I've configured our tape backup with amanda a few weeks ago. Everything
> is fine - the backup is done every night without any problems. The
> problem is, that our office is closed from time to time. And if the tape
> isn't changed, amanda waits until the right tape is inserted and after
> that the backup starts. Is it possible to configure amanda to anyway
> start the backup and use the holding disk although right the tape isn't
> inserted? So that, for example, one or two backup jobs are written to
> disk and after the tape were inserted, they will be written to tape?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andre

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.