Amanda-Users

tar vs. dump for / backup?

2008-07-14 22:59:52
Subject: tar vs. dump for / backup?
From: "johns AT msli DOT com" <johns AT msli DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:01:21 -0700
I am trying to backup a remote host's /boot and / mount points.
I don't have a tape drive, so I am backing up host to a disk on the
server.
When I use hard-disk-dump, /boot seems to backup fine, but / doesn't.
When I use hard-disk-tar, both backup.
What's wrong with my hard-disk-dump?

Server is debian etch using amanda-2.5.1p1
Client is gentoo using amanda-2.5.2_p1-r3
Both systems use reiserfs file systems.
The backup is called DailySet1.
I configured the following files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1:
------------------
disklist
------------------
builder1.mydomain.com        /       hard-disk-dump
builder1.mydomain.com        /boot   hard-disk-dump
------------
amanda.conf
------------
org      "DailySet1"
mailto   "joe AT foo DOT com"
dumpuser "backup"
dumporder "sssS"
taperalgo first
usetimestamps true
displayunit "k"
netusage  600 Kbps
dumpcycle 14 days
tapecycle 14
runspercycle 1
runtapes 1
etimeout 300
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 30
tapebufs 20
tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
tapetype HARD-DISK
labelstr "^DailySet1[0-9][0-9]*$"
define dumptype hard-disk-dump {
    comment "Back up to hard disk instead of tape - using dump"
    holdingdisk no
    index yes
    priority high
}
define dumptype hard-disk-tar {
    hard-disk-dump
    comment "Back up to hard disk instead of tape - using tar"
    program "GNUTAR"
    priority high
    index yes
    dumpcycle 1
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude-list"
    compress NONE
}
------------------
changer.conf
------------------
multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0
statefile /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status
firstslot 1
lastslot 14
slot 1  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape01
slot 2  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape02
slot 3  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape03
slot 4  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape04
slot 5  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape05
slot 6  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape06
slot 7  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape07
slot 8  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape08
slot 9  file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape09
slot 10 file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape10
slot 11 file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape11
slot 12 file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape12
slot 13 file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape13
slot 14 file:/amandatapes/amandadumps/tape14
-------------------------------------
I created my tapes with the following
-------------------------------------
su - backup
touch /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist
mkdir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1
chown -R backup:backup /amandatapes/amandadumps/
chmod -R 770 /amandatapes/amandadumps/
for ((x=1;x<=14;x+=1));
do
   num=`printf "%02d" $x`
   mkdir -p /amandatapes/amandadumps/tape${num}/data
   chown -R backup:backup /amandatapes/amandadumps/tape${num}
   chmod -R 770 /amandatapes/amandadumps/tape${num}
   amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1${num} slot ${num}
done
I had to create areas for the log files
mkdir -p /usr/adm/amanda
touch /usr/adm/amanda/amdump
mkdir -p /usr/adm/amanda/curinfo
mkdir -p /usr/adm/amanda/index
mkdir /usr/adm/amanda/amdump
chown -R backup:backup /usr/adm
Test config with amcheck, everything looks good
/usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
  Amanda Tape Server Host Check
  -----------------------------
  slot 5: read label `DailySet105', date `20080714181357'
  cannot overwrite active tape DailySet105
  slot 6: read label `DailySet106', date `X'
  NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
  Tape DailySet106 label ok
  Server check took 0.109 seconds

  Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
  --------------------------------
  Client check: 1 host checked in 0.015 seconds, 0 problems found

  (brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1p1)

When trying to use hard-disk-dump, the the logs show both / and /boot
mentioned in:
/var/log/amanda/server/DailySet1/amtrmidx.20080714181401.debug
But the directory _ is empty and is empty for /:
  /usr/adm/amanda/index/buildlinux2.eng.msli.com/_
and the directory for /boot has gz files:
  /usr/adm/amanda/index/buildlinux2.eng.msli.com/_boot/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attachment hereto
may contain confidential information of Meyer Sound Laboratories, Incorporated
and is intended for the personal and confidential use of the designated
recipient(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient), you have received this
message in error and any review, distribution, or copying of this message or
any attachment hereto is prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please promptly notify the sender and permanently delete it from your
computer.