Amanda-Users

Re: Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?

2008-07-11 10:40:29
Subject: Re: Why are there log files in /etc/amanda/DailySet1?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Zanga Chimombo" <z.chimombo AT admarc.co DOT mw>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:35:41 -0400
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Zanga Chimombo <z.chimombo AT admarc.co DOT
mw> wrote:
> the following line in amdump.X seems to give a clue:
> "dumper: stream_client: connect to 192.168.0.60.46830 failed: No route to
> host"
> why is the server trying to dump to the client?

Since Jon and Paul have addressed the first half of your email so
accurately, I guess I'll take this half.

Amanda functions by connecting from the server to the client.  So this
is the dumper connecting to the client to *pull* the data to be backed
up.

You don't sound surprised about the "No route to host" part, so I
assume there's a firewall or other intervening mechanism that would
prevent this sort of activity.  You'll need to remove this mechanism
and allow the server to connecto to the client.

Also, given the port number, it sounds like you're using BSD
authentication, which tends to use a lot of separate connections
instead of one single connection.  If your client supports it,
consider switching to bsdtcp authentication.  See the wiki for a bit
more detail.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer