Amanda-Users

Re: speeding up estimates

2008-07-03 00:36:38
Subject: Re: speeding up estimates
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: John Heim <jheim AT math.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:28:19 -0500
John Heim wrote:
> I'm having trouble making backups because the estimates are taking too long.
> I inherited an amanda backup setup and my predecessor had already increased
> the etimeout to 1800. I doubled it to 3600 and I was still getting timeout
> warnings at the top of the email when I did an amdump. So I doubled it again
> and now it's been running for 3 days.
>
> I saw in the amanda.conf man page that there's an 'estimate' directive.
> Values are client, calcsize, and server. But amdump complains when I add the
> directive to amanda.conf saying, "configuration keyword expected". I'm
> pretty sure the spelling is right since I cut and pasted right from the man
> page.
> # Do faster estimates
> estimate calcsize

Did you put it in a dumptype definition where it belongs, or did you
try it as a global option where it can't work?  If you just search
for estimate in the man page it's easy to overlook that it is only
valid inside a dumptype definition.

> Questions:
> 1. Is something wrong with my setup that it takes that long to do the
> estimates?
Possibly, but more likely you just have busy disks and/or a filesystem
with a lot of small files.
> 2. Can I spped up the estimates?
Use 'estimate calcsize'.

Good luck,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673