Amanda-Users

speeding up estimates

2008-07-02 18:03:55
Subject: speeding up estimates
From: "John Heim" <jheim AT math.wisc DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:01:58 -0500
I'm having trouble making backups because the estimates are taking too long. I inherited an amanda backup setup and my predecessor had already increased the etimeout to 1800. I doubled it to 3600 and I was still getting timeout warnings at the top of the email when I did an amdump. So I doubled it again and now it's been running for 3 days.

I saw in the amanda.conf man page that there's an 'estimate' directive. Values are client, calcsize, and server. But amdump complains when I add the directive to amanda.conf saying, "configuration keyword expected". I'm pretty sure the spelling is right since I cut and pasted right from the man page.
# Do faster estimates
estimate calcsize

Questions:
1. Is something wrong with my setup that it takes that long to do the estimates?
2. Can I spped up the estimates?