Amanda-Users

Re: lots of log files

2008-06-20 14:13:21
Subject: Re: lots of log files
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>, "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:06:30 -0700
Well, thanks everyone!  I'm just barely smart enough to do so but that
is exactly why I asked first!

Yes, I really do have tapes that old.  Is that unusual?

I backup up a LOT of linux and unix machines and now Mac laptops and
servers.  I guess it all just adds up after awhile.  This also explains
why a couple years ago I had to move the log directory to a different
partition because it was overfilling the one it was originally on.

Paul

  --received from Gene Heskett--

> On Thursday 19 June 2008, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> >Do people routinely clean up the log directory?  I'm up to about 82
> >gigs.  I think it is time.  Do I really care about log "log.20060512.0"
> >anymore?
> >
> >Paul
>
> Wow!  Amanda, by design, is supposed to clean those up when the tape is
> over-written, and generally has done that here over the last 7 or 8 years.
> You
> may want to look at your install, make sure these logs are indeed where the
> amanda.conf tells it to put them for starters.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Of course, some people consider hidden bugs to _be_ fixed. I don't believe
> in that particulat philosophy myself.
>
>       - Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel

  --received from Dustin J. Mitchell--

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Paul Yeatman
> <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu> wrote:
> > Do people routinely clean up the log directory?  I'm up to about 82
> > gigs.  I think it is time.  Do I really care about log "log.20060512.0"
> > anymore?
>
> Those logfiles are Amanda's tape catalog.  Amanda should be cleaning
> out the logs that correspond to overwritten tapes.  Do you have tapes
> that old?
>
> Dustin
>
> --
> Storage Software Engineer
> http://www.zmanda.com

  --received from Paul Bijnens--

> On 2008-06-20 03:37, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> >Do people routinely clean up the log directory?  I'm up to about 82
> >gigs.  I think it is time.  Do I really care about log "log.20060512.0"
> >anymore?
>
> If you remove those files manually, than Amanda cannot locate older
> backups anymore with "amadmin x find".  When Amanda does not need
> them anymore, Amanda moves them to the subdir "oldlog".
>
> And only from that "oldlog" directory you may remove them if you need the
> diskspace.  I keep them to as data for historical evolution of
> my backups like backup sizes, times dumpspeed, tapespeed etc.
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_log_files/Trace_Logs
>

> --
> Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
> Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512
> http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
> * I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
> * F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
> * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt,  abort,  hangup, *
> * PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e,  kill -1 $$,  shutdown, *
> * init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *
> * ...  "Are you sure?"  ...   YES   ...   Phew ...   I'm out          *

Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu
             ==Proudly brought to you by Mutt==