Amanda-Users

Re: tapless config, rotating 2 ext hard drives

2008-05-14 17:00:08
Subject: Re: tapless config, rotating 2 ext hard drives
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:55:18 -0400
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:33:37AM -0400, Mike Fahey wrote:
> Is it possible with a tapeless config
> to rotate 2 ext hard drives (connected to same sata port)
> one every other week. It would be a 7day tape cycle.

The top level directory for the "vtape changer" can contain
symbolic links to the actual vtape directories.  That way
vtape1-7 could be links to where ever drive 1 mounts and
vtape8-14 to the other drive.  If they mount at the same
point, then make sure the real vtape dirs have unique names.

I do something similar except the drives are not offline.
I use two external usb drives plus part of a hard drive for
my vtapes.  And there is a collective directory that amanda
knows about with all the vtapes as symlinks.

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)