Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Open, Input/Output Error

2008-03-21 11:49:29
Subject: Re: Tape Open, Input/Output Error
From: Tom Herrera <therrera AT nvisia DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:53:51 -0500 (CDT)

Jon Labadie wrote:

> I'd start by mimicing amanda's actions manually to narrow where to look.
>
> Can you manually read the tape label as the amanda user id?
>
> Something like this:
>
> $ su - <amanda_user>
>
> $ dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1
>
> The label is text and you should see it on-screen.

I may have fixed the issue by physical means.  I ejected the tape, turned the
drive off and on, used a cleaning tape, then reinserted the tape.  amcheck now
reports all is well, but I'm, well, a little concerned.

When I run dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1 the response is:
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

When I run amflush Daily the response is:
Scanning /opt/amanda...

Today is: 20080321
Flushing dumps in to tape drive "/dev/nst0".
Expecting tape Daily-002 or a new tape.  (The last dumps were to tape Daily-001)
Are you sure you want to do this [yN]? N
Ok, quitting.  Run amflush again when you are ready.

As you can see, there is no text label using the dd command, and I would think
there ought to be something to flush, since the amreport was screaming:
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/nst0: Input/output
error].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Daily-002.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  madison.ch //accounting/Apps lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  madison.ch /opt lev 2 FAILED [can't dump no-hold disk in degraded mode]
  madison.ch /boot lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  nostep.chi /boot lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  tyler.chi. /var lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  tyler.chi. /export lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  tyler.chi. /opt lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  madison.ch /var lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  madison.ch /export/home lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  madison.ch //accounting/Finance lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  tyler.chi. / lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  tyler.chi. /boot lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  madison.ch / lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
  nostep.chi / lev 1 FAILED [no more holding disk space]

It doesn't look like I need to run amflush, or should I anyway? Is all of this
an indication that there may be something wrong with either the tape or drive?
Or should I just skip over my twitch of paranoia and move on? Thanx.