Amanda-Users

Re: amanda server cannot back itself up

2008-03-20 16:53:01
Subject: Re: amanda server cannot back itself up
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:45:49 -0400
* Byarlay, Wayne A. <wab AT purdue DOT edu> [20080320 16:01]:
> I know I'm missing something simple here; but I have beat my head
> against this for hours. Here's the deal:
>
> I have a RHEL 4 machine 2.6.9-42.0.10.EL (Slightly older kernel due to
> Apple XServe SCSI Drivers). I have installed Amanda 2.5.2p1 server, it
> works; several other clients have connected & I've been happily backing
> them up for weeks. But, I have never gotten this machine to back ITSELF
> up!
>
> Here's the error message, I'm sure you've seen it a thousand times:
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /data/amanda/dumps: 4538211200 KB disk space available,
> using 4538108800 KB
> slot 7: read label `DailySet1-07', date `20080225'
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape DailySet1-07 label ok
> NOTE: host info dir /etc/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo/myserver.mydomain does
> not exist
> NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
> Server check took 0.085 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: myserver.mydomain: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting
> for ACK
> Client check: 5 hosts checked in 30.097 seconds, 1 problem found
>

> Likewise, trying to run "amrestore as root, ", I get:
>
> # amrecover
> AMRECOVER Version 2.5.2p1. Contacting server on myserver.mydomain ...
> [request failed: timeout waiting for ACK]
>

> I checked /etc/hosts. Itself is there. i.e.,
>
> 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 1.2.3.4       myserver.mydomain               myserver     <-- I know these
> are correct even though I obscured it in this e-mail. (They match the
> correct IP, anyway.)
> .
> .
> Etc.
>
> I'm guessing /etc/hosts.allow doesn't need to be touched, since my other
> server didn't.
>
> I checked /etc/services. It does have the following:
>
> #grep amanda /etc/services
> amanda          10080/tcp                       # amanda backup services
> amanda          10080/udp                       # amanda backup services
> kamanda         10081/tcp                       # amanda backup services
> (Kerberos)
> kamanda         10081/udp                       # amanda backup services
> (Kerberos)
> amandaidx       10082/tcp                       # amanda backup services
> amidxtape       10083/tcp                       # amanda backup services
>
> Amanda was installed on the client using the username "amandabackup".
>
> I checked /home/amandabackup/.amandahosts; it looks like this:
>

> Myserver.mydomain amandabackup
> amandahost amanda
> amandahost.localdomain Amanda
>
> This directly matches my OTHER Linux RHEL machine that works!
>
> Uuugh! Any ideas?
>
> WAB

First, check the debug logs on the server.

Check owerships and permissions on /home/amandabackup/.amandahosts
It must belongs to the amanda user and not world readable.
Make the perms 600 to be 100% sure.

What authentication mechanism are you using? bsd/bsdudp/bsdtcp?

See
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Configuring_bsd/bsdudp/bsdtcp_authentication
for details.

good luck,