Amanda-Users

DIsk to disk to tape configuration

2008-03-14 16:09:23
Subject: DIsk to disk to tape configuration
From: Steven Kurylo <steven.kurylo AT aviawest DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:02:01 -0700
The manual mentions using a disk to disk to tape setup, but I can find the best way to set one up. I've searched the mailing list as well, but haven't found anyone talking about.

Right now I have amanda backing up to several vtapes on my disk. What is the best way to move the vtape to disk?

1) Create another amanda config which does a full backup to tape on Saturdays, and not run my normal backup on that day.

2) Create an amanda config with the vtape as a DLE. But then I wouldn't actually know what individual files were on the tape.

3) dd the contents of the vtape to tape. Then relabel the vtape from tape23 to tape24. So amanda would think tape 23 is out there some where. When it asks for the tape to do a restore, I simply dd the tape into a vtape.

Is there another method? What do you use? I'm thinking number three would be the simplest and easiest to restore from.

Thanks.