Amanda-Users

Re: concept for backup server replication

2008-03-05 22:43:29
Subject: Re: concept for backup server replication
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Chris Hoogendyk" <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 22:38:03 -0500
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT
edu> wrote:
> This idea hit me while I was cross-country skiing through the woods this
>  last weekend (one way of renewing and reviving one's mental capacities
>  ;-)  gliding silently on 30 year old Norwegian wooden skis [Bonna 1800]
>  on packed powder under spruce-fir ).
>
>  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, or if anyone sees
>  any issues with it.

I haven't been cross-country skiing in years, but I certainly don't
have any issues with it ;)

>  Two things struck me (last weekend). One is that I could have a job
>  running after the backup that would grab the relevant portion of the
>  amanda home directory and rsync it to the other server (I'm already
>  archiving the configuration this way). Suppose one server is using a
>  configuration for bio-daily, and the other is using a configuration for
>  geo-daily. Each server would have both configurations but only use its
>  own. After the geo server completed its amanda run it would rsync the
>  geo-daily configuration (with its indexes and logs) over to the bio
>  server. The bio server would rsync its bio-daily configuration to the
>  geo server after completing its backup. Now, since the tape libraries
>  and tape drives are identical, and I have the configuration, including
>  indexes, for the other server's backups, I can do a recovery on the bio
>  server for something that was backed up on the geo server. All I need is
>  the tape.

I did this for a long time between two colo'd servers at ThePlanet.
FWIW, I also rsync'd the holding disks, so data that was still
"precariously" on the box from which it had been dumped was at least
moved to another floor in ThePlanet's DC.

Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com