Amanda-Users

concept for backup server replication

2008-03-05 22:01:23
Subject: concept for backup server replication
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:52:44 -0500
This idea hit me while I was cross-country skiing through the woods this last weekend (one way of renewing and reviving one's mental capacities ;-) gliding silently on 30 year old Norwegian wooden skis [Bonna 1800] on packed powder under spruce-fir ).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, or if anyone sees any issues with it.

I have two departments that, for budgetary & other reasons, each need their own separate backup server. One is still trying to come up with the pieces of money. My intention has been to have them each back up the other. They will be essentially identical. Same tape library, etc.

Two things struck me (last weekend). One is that I could have a job running after the backup that would grab the relevant portion of the amanda home directory and rsync it to the other server (I'm already archiving the configuration this way). Suppose one server is using a configuration for bio-daily, and the other is using a configuration for geo-daily. Each server would have both configurations but only use its own. After the geo server completed its amanda run it would rsync the geo-daily configuration (with its indexes and logs) over to the bio server. The bio server would rsync its bio-daily configuration to the geo server after completing its backup. Now, since the tape libraries and tape drives are identical, and I have the configuration, including indexes, for the other server's backups, I can do a recovery on the bio server for something that was backed up on the geo server. All I need is the tape.

The second thing that occured to me is that the internal drives in all my departmental servers are an identical type of hot swappable drive. So, rather than do a disaster recovery over the net, I can put a drive into the backup server I'm going to do the recovery from, recover all the partitions on that drive locally on the backup server, install bootblocks if necessary, umount all partitions, pull the drive, and move it to the server that needs recovering (these are all Sun Enterprise servers).

That would result in my backup servers being doubly backed up (each backs up itself and the other), redundant (each can function as the other), and easily recoverable. It also means, in a pinch, I could be doing twice the volume of recovery by using both servers (e.g. server x in bio gets totally fried, boot drive gets recovered in bio backup server while data drive is recovered in geo backup server -- obviously have to be using different tapes, but just as an example). This seems rather obvious, but hadn't occurred to me because I haven't had to face any disaster recoveries yet. I have built systems on one machine (A) and then moved the drives into another machine (B) to minimize the downtime of upgrading the machine (B) when the OS and all the software was being upgraded and reconfigured.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions welcome.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center