Amanda-Users

Re: Define what holding disk to use?

2008-03-04 08:37:47
Subject: Re: Define what holding disk to use?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-u AT alienn DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:29:03 -0500

Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
There is no option to do that.

Jean-Louis

Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:

Hi,
is it possible to define (in a dumptype) what holding disk to use?

I have a server which backups itself and this server has two raid
arrays. I placed a holding disk on each of the arrays. Now amanda
shouldn't use the holding disk on array one while backuping this array... Is there some configuration option I have missed?

My own preference is to configure the system with separate drives for holding disk. There is no reason for them to be raid. With a separate spindle, they will be fast. If they are on a separate controller, even faster. I happen to have my tape drive, my holding disks, and my network all on separate controllers/buses, so there is virtually no contention. I get the maximum throughput on my tape and on my holding disks. All Ultra320 LVD SCSI on a Sun Enterprise server.

When amanda is not running I can use the holding disk space for other maintenance tasks, recoveries, etc.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center