Amanda-Users

RE: erasing a backup to disk

2008-01-21 21:29:05
Subject: RE: erasing a backup to disk
From: "Jeremy Mordkoff" <jlm AT zazzletech DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:22:18 -0500
> On Jan 21, 2008 5:39 PM, Jeremy Mordkoff <jlm AT zazzletech DOT com> wrote:
> > I am using usb disks instead of tapes with Amanda. I have 20 'tapes' on each
> > disk and 5 disks. Now I am ready to start reusing the first disk. How do I
> > properly erase the disk so that it looks like 20 empty tapes?
>
> If your 'tapecycle' is set correctly, you don't need to -- Amanda will
> recognize that the first tape on that disk is no longer needed, and
> overwrite it.
>
> Since you have 5*20=100 tapes, your tapecycle should be 100.

Ahhh, maybe I've already made a mess then. In reality, I only have 7 to 10
actual backups on each disk. After that, they were full or I had the
opportunity to send the backup off site, so I rotated to the next one. But I
pre-allocated 20 'tapes' on each disk.

Another reason I want to erase them is my backups are growing, so backup #101
is not going to fit in the space used by backup #1. I need to erase #1 through
#20 just to be sure I'll have room on the disk for even 1 backup.

JLM