Amanda-Users

Re: Asking for new tapes when an old tape should be available

2007-12-28 12:50:28
Subject: Re: Asking for new tapes when an old tape should be available
From: Jeffrey Anderson <JDAnderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: brandon.saunders AT bcsengineering DOT com
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:38:34 -0800
On Friday 28 December 2007, brandon.saunders AT bcsengineering DOT com wrote:
> I got into a situation where I missed tape changes for a few days, so my
> backups we put to the holding disk.  In the process of dumping the data I
> inadvertently dumped two days to the same tape when messed up my tape
> pattern.  To fix that I decided to mark the corresponding unneed tape (107)
> as no-reuse.  After that Amanda insists on having a new tape, instead of
> the next one in line (108).  I have reset 107 to be reusable, but amanda
> wont go back and reuse it now either.
>
> This has happened to me before and the only way I found to fix it then was
> to remove and re-add all of the tapes, which is an arduous processes since
> I have to change the manually.
>
> I am running amanda 2.4.4p3 which is provided with Redhat Enterprise Linux
> 4.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can fix this without messing with all of my tapes?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brandon Saunders
> Partner/Engineer
> <http://www.BCSEngineering.com>

Your problem is probably with your tapecycle parameter.  When you mark tape
107 as not reusable, amanda thinks that there are not enough tapes already
labelled and isn't willing to reuse one of your existing tapes.

You either need to label more tapes, as amanda is asking (new tape) or reduce
tapecycle by one (allowing amanda to reuse one of your existing tapes).

jeffrey anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   | Mailstop 50a-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808